First things first, in order to give credit where credit is due, I first found this recipe for Super Soft Jell-O Playdough from Modern Parents Messy Kids, they’ve got a great site over there and you should definitely go check them out fore more DIY activities for your kids.
The last few days have been kind of crummy out, it was rainy, cloudy, and cold. So, I started looking for some things we could do inside that were fun and engaging, but didn’t require a T.V. screen to enjoy.
That was when I found this recipe and decided to give it a go. I wasn’t sure how my son would enjoy it, but I once we made it he couldn’t put it down and it was so incredibly easy to make that we will definitely be making more in the future.
- 1 cup of white flour
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 tbsp. of salt
- 2 tbsp. of cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp. of cooking oil
- 1 3 oz pack of Jell-O
- Mix all ingredients together in a small saucepan until most of the lumps are gone.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously until it thickens into a ball of dough.
- Place the dough on to a floured cutting board and wait for it to cool.
- Once it is cool (at least 20 – 30 minutes), knead it, adding flour (about 1/2 cup) until it is no longer sticky.
One thing that’s really important is, when your child is done playing with the Playdough, put it in an air tight container and put it in the fridge. It should last a few weeks.